cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:50:20 -0500

On Friday 25 March 2005 02:59 pm, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2005, at 16:07, drew Roberts wrote:
> > So, copyright exists on classical works in your country or do moral
> > rights
> > exist even in the absence of copyrights?
>
> In Finland, moral rights exist for classical works whose copyright has
> been expired.
>
> > Do moral rights ever expire? When do they pass from the keeping of the
> > estate and heirs to teh Academy?
>
> In Finland, the Ministry of Education can exercise the moral rights
> related to classical works deemed of cultural importance. I am not sure
> about direct descendants of the original author.

Interesting, do they claim to be able to excercise these rights over
classical
works not created in or by citizens of the country?

Also interesting in light of the post saying moral rights were found to be
untransferrable.

This is one reason why I think copyright is a minefield. You want to think
you
should be able to reason things out, but the more I learn, the more it seems
that you just have to know, or to be on the winning side of what gets made
up.

Does anyone see any hope of things getting more simple? To where a person on
the street could understand how things work?