cc-europe - Re: [Cc-europe] draft letter to the CC Board on communication and governance

  • From: Alek Tarkowski <alek AT creativecommons.pl>
  • To: Paul Keller <pk AT kl.nl>
  • Cc: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-europe] draft letter to the CC Board on communication and governance
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 17:18:44 +0200

Dear all,

I think it's already clear that there are multiple ideas as to how to solve the "governance issue" - Paul is suggesting a legal advisory body, John is writing about an international board with broader scope of competencies...

I for one would like to see not just an advisory body on legal issues, but more communication regarding long-term planning, or maybe even the vision of where CC is going. This does not have to entail participation in decision making - though, on the other hand, I'm not sure that's an excessive request...

This shows, I think, that we either need a meeting to discuss this face-to-face or some online process for choosing between the proposals. This could be done either internally among the leads or already with the involvement of CC HQ.

As a side note, I think it's worth remembering that formally there is a very strong level of involvement written into our cooperation agreements, where it's stated that CC HQ works together with legal partners in running local projects - I would say that currently it's the other way around, with local projects helping out with a global CC project run by CC HQ.

I think that currently we do not need to agree on a solution - but just point out the problem. Maybe the different proposals / solutions should be collected somewhere, on a "brainstorming" page?

This way we could send the letter pretty quick, and use the opportunity - as Paul pointed out - of recent personal shifts in the CC HQ.

Maybe we can agree on some reasonable date for sending out the letter. I'd propose to put the letter in a current form on some wiki, give everyone a week to make any comments / corrections, and another week to "sign" the letter - and then send it.

Cheers,

Alek