cc-europe - Re: [Cc-europe] draft letter to the CC Board on communication and governance

  • From: John Hendrik Weitzmann <jhweitzmann AT mx.uni-saarland.de>
  • To: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-europe] draft letter to the CC Board on communication and governance
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 01:03:59 +0200

Hi all,

just my two cents on this:

As I said in Torino, I'm not convinced that a letter to the CC board is
all too necessary, at least not in the form of a complaint. The
pre-announcement of CC+ and CC0 could have come earlier, that is true,
but there was one - as I recall about a week before the press announcement.

If a letter is nevertheless going to be sent, it should be coordinated
beyond the scope of CC Europe, if just to avoid the impression that
there is sentiment "aginst the american way dominating our work"
involved in it.

And as for governance: There are several ways at hand to influence what
is happening at CC HQ. A more direct impact through a more formalised
decision making process might look nice at first glance, but would mean
more rules and regulations, and I don't think that we really want that.
It would inevitably lead to a reciprocal strengthening of rules and
regulations of our work in our respective countries. I'm actually quite
happy with the freedom we have in our affiliate team here, and with the
way it is moderated to - and balanced out with - CC HQ through CCi.

Frankly, I find it hard to imagine a modus operandi of collective CC
decision making that really works out. But maybe someone has more
creativity in this than me ...

All the best,
John