cc-education - Re: [cc-education] WHY EDU ?

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Heather Ford <hford AT csli.stanford.edu>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] WHY EDU ?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:06:05 -0800

> If it ain't a commons, it shouldn't be on this website
> or it should be clearly delineated with a message:
> "This license will not put your work in a public commons"

Isn't this for Creative Commons to decide? I know that sounds like a
silly question, but shouldn't they be allowed to judge for themselves
what is a commons and what isn't, and whether an educational commons is
a thing worth trying to facilitate or not?
If it's for Creative Commons to decide, then we're back to
my original argument about there being no process and
about Creative Commons doing whatever it wants, no
matter what people want.

I don't think this is what David is saying - I think he is saying that it is for the larger community, filled with a variety of different people from different sectors and different contexts, to decide, through use, on how the licenses should develop - this is merely transferring the decision about what kinds of choices people want to the commons, rather than foregoing the license or the particular conditions of a license because *we* think this is what people want and need. I think that the default in this early stage should definitely be *MORE CHOICE* rather than less.

It is clear that there are significant differences over this
issue. It is clear that the education license, as written,
will arouse significant opposition in the community.

It's time, I think, to come up with the fish.

Let's see a process for making this decision put on
the table. A process that ensures that people with a
stake in the issue have a bearing on the outcome. A
process that amounts to something more than just
'Creative Commons doing what it wants.'

I think this is an important moment, not just for
educators, but for Creative Commons. The decision
as to whether CC belongs to the people, or is a
private fiefdom, is made here.

I think that this is very unfair - Creative Commons is a movement about choice - it is not about applying particular models to common use - but rather about accommodating different ways in which people wish to share work. Unfortunately there seem to be different views of what is democratic here - but I feel very strongly that we need to come to some kind of compromise - or stick with the decision of the project lead and review with *real* statistics how things pan out in *Reality*.

Best,

Heather.

-- Stephen