cc-education - Re: [cc-education] Moving ahead

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Palmer <davidpalmer AT westnet.com.au>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] Moving ahead
  • Date: 12 Feb 2004 20:01:27 +0800

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 14:28, David Wiley wrote:
> Stephen Downes wrote:
>
> > Hold a vote. Or explain why democracy runs counter to the
> > needs and interests of Creative Commons.
>
> The democracy rhetoric is kind of strong =). Holding a vote about
> whether to move forward or not isn't appropriate because that's not what
> CC has asked / empowered us to do. According to the process CC has
> established for license projects (http://creativecommons.org/discuss),
> here's what supposed to happen:
>
> - Project Lead produces first draft
>
> - Public Discussion
>
> - Project Lead produces second draft
>
> Now you can dislike the process, but this is the process CC has
> established. And as I mentioned last letter, this is the process that
> has governed other projects since last June before our public discussion
> period even began. I believe the Sampling license beta has shown that
> the process can work effectively.
>
> CC has asked me for the second draft; I should and want to provide them
> with one. The discussion list doesn't vote to decide if we should give
> them one or not. We *do* need to vote so that I know what the public
> discussants believe should go in the draft.
>
> We've done this once before, but this time the stakes are a little
> higher. This is to determine what goes into the second draft and
> probably the beta license. Please respond with a yea or nea for each of
> the following cc.edu license elements:
>
> 1. require attribution

Yes.

> 2. disallow commercial uses

No. This qualified by permission to use the material within a commercial
environment, but not to be charged for that share of the programme.
i.e., a charge may be applied for the facilitation of the programme in
association with commercial material, but not for the material itself.
e.g., a minimal charge may be applied to recover the cost of an
instructional video/CD/DVD but not for the material it conveys.

> 3. allow only uses primarily and purposively intended to facilitate learning

No

> 4. require that modified works - if distributed - be distributed under
> the same license

Yes

> 5. require that modified works - if distributed - be distributed with a
> mechanism for determining what changes have been made to the original

Yes

> 6. allow use by anyone whose use meets the above guidelines regardless
> of affiliation

Yes

> 7. provide an option which allows the licensor to restrict use to
> individuals affiliated with an educational institution only

No

> 8. expand 7. above to include individuals affiliated with non-profit
> organizations with primarily educational missions in addition to
> individuals affiliated with educational institutions

No

Regards,

David.
--
Terrorism, the new religion.
'Religion is regarded by the common man as true,

Lucius Annaeus Seneca.