cc-education - Re: [cc-education] WHY EDU ?

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Wouter Vanden Hove <wouter.vanden.hove AT pandora.be>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] WHY EDU ?
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 23:33:09 +0000

Op ma 09-02-2004, om 17:25 schreef email AT greglondon.com:

> For what reasons are the lessons of open source
> that were learned in the software world being
> ignored by the push to create an eductation-only
> license?

My opinion: because of cognitive dissonance reduction.
People want to assiocate themselves with a dynamic new movement that is
proving itself succesful, but don't want to adopt the mindset that goes
with it.

Op ma 09-02-2004, om 17:44 schreef Zachary Chandler:
> For my part, it's the promotional power of the EDU stamp, getting more
> people on
> board.

"Promotional power" is orthogonal from the permisions and prohibitons in the
license.
a BY-license give instructors more then enough the right to use the contents
in an educational setting
and is therefore an "educational license". The same goes for BY-SA, and
BY-SA-NC. BY-ND.
Those are all educational licenses.

> but then again I work for a college.
And where do MIT-Professors work?
Mit OpenCourseWare uses BY-SA-NC.

Op ma 09-02-2004, om 18:18 schreef Alexander, Bryan:
> Many college faculty have the sense of copyright as something external to
> them. An edu license could bring it home, as it were.

Goes for *all* licenses they explicitly adopt.

Wouter Vanden Hove