baslinux - Re: [BL] CNet NIC problems

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] CNet NIC problems
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 23:01:06 +0100

> There are some other packages you should upgrade to compile with - see the
> BL site and/or archives.
I couldn't find them, could you be a little more specific?

> They are header files that you need to compile things from source. They come
> in various packages, in this case with the kernel source code. Find kernel
> 2.4.31 source code and install that (also update whatever packages besides
> gcc that are used for compiling, to Slackware 8.1).
Again, how can I know which packages are used?

> I found them on my computer:
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ip_tables.h
> /usr/src/linux/include/linux/kmod.h
> etc.
>
> /usr/src/linux is symlinked to /usr/src/linux-2.4.31
>
> You can (in 3 sec or so) download the latest 2.4 kernel code (2.4.33?) and
> compile your own kernel and modules.  Ask for help, use my config files if
> you want (confbsp.431 can be renamed .config, then make dep, make bzImage, I
> think), modify them using make config or make menuconfig.  (Keep a backup of
> the original .config file too).
>
> Kernel modules require kernel source code in order to compile. Most of the
> source code for modules is packages with the kernel itself. I found
> ip_tables.c for 2.4.31.  I could compile it for you.  The way I know is to
> make config (which edits .config) then make modules which makes ALL the
> modules.  Maybe you can find a way to make just one at a time.
>
> Do you want me to compile ip_tables.o and anything else, or is it more fun
> doing it yourself?  Read a kernel compile howto.
>
> Regular binary programs require other things including other header files
> (ending in .h) and library files (ending in .so or .a).

I'd love to be able to compile my own stuff - after all, I'm sure
you'd be sick of compiling for me at some point =P

I've downloaded the 2.4.31 kernel source now. I've configured
successfully, but make modules gives the following errors:

Make: /bin/pwd: Command not found
AC @Ac @gcc -Wall-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o
scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
scripts/split-include.c:22: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
scripts/split-include.c:23: sys/stat.h: No such file or directory
scripts/split-include.c:25: ctype.h: No such file or directory
scripts/split-include.c:26: error.h: No such file or directory
scripts/split-include.c:27: fcntl.h: No such file or directory
scripts/split-include.c:28: stdio.h: No such file or directory
scripts/split-include.c:29: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
scripts/split-include.c:30: string.h: No such file or directory
scripts/split-include.c:31: unistd.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [scripts/split-include] Error 1

Nevertheless, I found ip_tables.c and tried to compile it, which
throws several pages of errors at me, ending in the following:

ip_tables.c:1849: parse error before
'this_object_must_be_defined_as_export_objs_in_the_Makefile'
ip_tables.c:1849: warning: data definition has ny type or storage class

Could this have something to do with the other packages you were
talking about? Or the errors in make?

> What do you use ip_tables for?  I have never set up a server.  Can you
> explain the basic theory?
ip_tables.o is a requirement for iptables, which is a seperate
program. Iptables allows you to set rules for incoming/outgoing
packets, and is often used as a firewall. For example, you could say
that if the incoming package is on port 80, accept it, else drop it.
It is very flexible, and I intend to use it for NAT. NAT is a system
where a lot of computers on a private net can get the same IP on the
internet - most people have it build into a small router box which
handles most of the network stuff.