baslinux - [BL] magicpoint

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] magicpoint
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:28:38

Hi Sindi, Steven and others,

last weekend I was in the situation, that I had to produce
a "powerpoint" presentation. I remembered that the best and
only presentation tool that I would like to use is Magicpoint.

Some years ago, I played with it in BL3 and even successfully
compiled a newer version in BL1 (Slackware 3.5). That time I
somehow got it to run with a Czech (ISO-8859-2) font, too.

Now I tried to use several newer binaries in my Slax environment.
Documentation says that they would work with Japanese fonts, but I
could not even get it to run with East European fonts. Also the
contents display and inline display of console commands were
missing - either the program did not find special fonts for this
features or they were not compiled in.

When I tried to compile a version of my own within the Slax system,
the compiler script complained about the lack of Imake utilities.

Sindi, I know you have been busy and quite successful with many
localization problems:

1. Have you ever attempted to use magicpoint for non-English
presentations? Which fonts and font paths did you use in the BL
version?

2. Which files are necessary in order to compile with xmkmf and
Imake? They seem to be scattered throughout the huge X packets
in Slackware. Is there a way to pick them out and put them into a
smaller packet?

3. Have you ever tried to adapt magicpoint to your alternative
BL kernel and library configuration? Naturally the functional
magicpoint version from BL 3.5 does not work in my present
environment.

Of course Kpresenter and OpenOffice will do the job. But I would
really prefer editing text and simple conversion from/to HTML.

Regards,
Christof

Christof Lange, Evangelical Theological Seminary of Prague
Stolinska 41a, 193 00 Praha 9 - Horni Pocernice, Czech Republic
phone: (+420) 777 893 292 - e-mail: christof.lange AT etspraha.cz