baslinux - Re: [BL] CNet NIC problems

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] CNet NIC problems
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 04:09:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Slackware 4 bin.tgz contains both sed and awk.
Ah... Is there any way I could have known that? Anyways, it works now.

BL3.5 site, Slackware mirrors, Slackware 4.0, download MANIFEST.gz
zless MANIFEST.gz | less
/sed (Enter)

Takes you to the line listing the location of sed (if it exists) then
scroll up to see what package it is in.

If you upgrade to glibc 2.2.5 from Slackware 8 you can use the gcc etc
from there (which require 2.2.5).  They worked well for r8169.
Okay, I've upgraded now glibc and gcc now.

There are some other packages you should upgrade to compile with - see the
BL site and/or archives.

I tried getting iptables from
ftp://ftp.slackware-brasil.com.br/slackware-8.0/slakware/n1/iptables.tgz.
It installed fine, but I think I need ip_tables.o... I tried using the
files from both
ftp://ftp.slackware-brasil.com.br/slackware-8.0/modules/2.4.5-no-smp/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o.gz
and
ftp://ftp.slackware-brasil.com.br/slackware-8.0/modules/2.4.5-smp/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o.gz,
and neither one work, which is not all that surprising. I also found
the source code for the file, and tried compiling it, however I get
the following errors:

ip_tables.c:13: linux/kmod.h: No such file or directory
ip_tables.c:14: linux/vmalloc.h: No such file or directory
ip_tables.c:20: net/ip.h: No such file or directory
ip_tables.c:21: asm/uaccess.h: No such file or directory
ip_tables.c:25: linux/netfilter_ipv4/ip_tables.h: No such file or directory
ip_tables.c:61: linux/netfilter_ipv4/lockhelp.h: No such file or directory
ip_tables.c:62: linux/netfilter_ipv4/listhelp.h: No such file or directory

I'm guessing I need kmod.h, vmalloc.h, ip.h and uaccess.h then... I've
looked around a bit, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Are .h
files source files? In what directory are they supposed to go? It
obviously doesn't show the whole path. What do they do?

They are header files that you need to compile things from source. They come in various packages, in this case with the kernel source code. Find kernel 2.4.31 source code and install that (also update whatever packages besides gcc that are used for compiling, to Slackware 8.1).

I found them on my computer:
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ip_tables.h /usr/src/linux/include/linux/kmod.h
etc.

/usr/src/linux is symlinked to /usr/src/linux-2.4.31

You can (in 3 sec or so) download the latest 2.4 kernel code (2.4.33?) and compile your own kernel and modules. Ask for help, use my config files if you want (confbsp.431 can be renamed .config, then make dep, make bzImage, I think), modify them using make config or make menuconfig. (Keep a backup of the original .config file too).

Kernel modules require kernel source code in order to compile. Most of the source code for modules is packages with the kernel itself. I found ip_tables.c for 2.4.31. I could compile it for you. The way I know is to make config (which edits .config) then make modules which makes ALL the modules. Maybe you can find a way to make just one at a time.

Do you want me to compile ip_tables.o and anything else, or is it more fun doing it yourself? Read a kernel compile howto.

Regular binary programs require other things including other header files (ending in .h) and library files (ending in .so or .a).

What do you use ip_tables for? I have never set up a server. Can you explain the basic theory?