baslinux - Re: [BL] CNet NIC problems

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] CNet NIC problems
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 19:34:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Aha, I am now able to detect one of the cards - the same as I was able
to detect before. However, I've tried pretty much all the modules from
the site you linked to, and none of them seem to be able to detect my
other card. The 2.4 version of the driver for the card is called
r8169, and I've been able to find it online, however it gives me the
following unresolved symbols:

As I tried to explain, kernel and modules must be compiled using the same compiler, which for my kernels is gcc 2.95.3. What you found online was probably compiled using a different (much newer) gcc. I went to realtek and found the r8169 source code for kernels 2.4.20 or later (software, gigabit, PCI, check of 8169, linux...). 30K download, 28K compiled.
I had to be running the same kernel and have kernel source code (in /usr/src/linux).

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/r8169.o

(Might also work for the cardbus version of the card with my lafb-cb kernel)

Try without mii and crc, and if you get unresolved symbols insmod them first.

__ioremap_R9eac042a
pci_read_config_word_R923654cb
pci_register_driver_R1e536d21
cpu_raise_softirq_Rd01f3ee8
pci_alloc_consistent_Rca1c24c8
(snip)

Does anything look familiar? I don't know what it means, but I see
crc32 in there, even though I've already insmodded crc32.

I bet your module does not work with my gcc 2.95.3 kernel.

I'm not going to quit as long as I'm getting somewhere - this is fun
=P Especially when someone actually cares to help.

I learned linux this way. BL is the only linux I normally use.

I have used the DSL 2.4.31 kernel with DSL modules as a test to see if 2.4.31 does support certain hardware, copied to BL once it works in DSL live CD. Try that if my module does not work with my kernel. The DSL kernel is a lot bigger.

P.S: Does anyone know of a quick way to insmod multiple files? Am I
doing something wrong or does BL not support listing with curly
brackets?

I don't know. Read documentation for insmod. Let us know.

Or make a script called 8139-on some place on the path (/usr/sbin will do)

cd /usr/sbin

pico 8139-on

insmod mii
insmod crc
insmod 8139too

ctrl-X, Y

chmod +x 8139-on

Type 8139-on to insmod the three modules.