baslinux - Re: [BL] Compiling with upgraded BL3 was Re: CNet NIC problems

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compiling with upgraded BL3 was Re: CNet NIC problems
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 06:00:53 +0100

> BL3 uses packages from Slackware 3 or 4.
> There is a perfectly good Python package in Slackware 4.0:
> http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-4.0/slakware/d1/python.tgz

Yes, however I have upgraded the kernel and glibc. I didn't know that
Python came with SW 4, I suppose I should have checked. I'm not sure
if I'd call python 1.5 good, considering that the current release is
3.1, but hey, it works.

> Did the ip_tables.o module work at all?
No, it did not. Insmod told me that the device was busy. I even tried
deleting the ipchains binaries because I read you can't run ipchains
and iptables at the same time.

As far as I can gather, ipchains is unable to do any sort of port
forwarding - in other words, send any packets that arrive at a
specific port on the WAN side to a given IP on the LAN side. Also, the
tool that seems to be used for this sort of thing, "ipmasqadm portfw"
doesn't seem to be working, I get the following errors when trying
"ipmasqadm portfw -l":

portfw: setsockopt failed: Invalid argument
Could not open "/proc/net/ip_masq/portfw"
Could not open "/proc/net/ip_portfw"
Check if you have enabled portforwarding.

There is no such directory as /proc/net/ip_masq, and no file at
/proc/net/ip_portfw. I'm not sure where I should check for enabled
portforwarding. I couldn't find anything at slackware - but then
again, I might be looking for the wrong thing.

> Slackware 8.1 has glibc 2.2.5 so should not require glibc 2.3.*.  Odd.
> Are you sure it was SW8 and not SW9 python you got?
Yes, I am certain. However, Python from slackware 4 works and I'm
going to settle for that for now.

> If it works, post the solution and also put it somewhere that
> Steven can write a link to.
I will. I've still got quite a lot of things I need to figure out first,
though.