baslinux - Re: [BL] mplayer plugin

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mplayer plugin
  • Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 12:12:27 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> Why did you choose 3.31 for 10.2 and not 3.40
> for 11.0?

I did this a couple of months ago, so I don't
recall the details; however, I wanted a version
designed for Firefox 1.5 (not Firefox 2).

> How did you 'install' 3.31 package?

As I said before I put the *.so files into
the plugins directory and the *.xpt files
into the components directory. Then I
rebooted Firefox.

> > right-click on icon and edit
> > the resultant config screen.
> Not intuitive but I could choose small icons
> or no icons (text).

You can also completely remove the icon by
dragging it off the screen.

> >> How do I use the plugin after copying the two files
> >> to /plugins and /components?
> >
> > Restart Firefox, then enter about:plugins
>
> I don't see any new plugins.

Then you probably did not put the files into the
correct directories. Or you did not restart
Firefox.

> copied the two files

Which two files? I've got five mplayer .so
files and four mplayer .xpt files.

> to /firefox*/plugins and components.

I don't understand. What are the full names
of the directories you used? Were those
directories already there? Or did you
create them yourself?

> The two default plugins are in /firefox*/.

I unpacked my Firefox in /usr/local/bin/firefox
My plugin directory is /usr/local/bin/firefox/plugins
and components are in /usr/local/bin/firefox/components

There are already lots of components in the components
directory.

> How does a plugin work - does it access mplayer or
> substitute for it?

It calls mplayer. However there is no point trying
it until it shows up in about:plugins. Does anything
appear in about:plugins at the moment?