baslinux - [BL] GTK and locale problem (related to Seamonkey)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] GTK and locale problem (related to Seamonkey)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 02:34:30 +0000 (UTC)

When I try to run Seamonkey 1.1.15 precompiled for GTK1, with some libraries dependent on glibc 2.3.2, AFTER upgrading to glibc 2.3.2 from Slackware 9.1, I get the following two lines of GDK warnings about locale, and the program will not load.

I have all the dependencies, including the libraries that came with seamonkey and are pointed at by the wrapper script.

Someone suggested reinstalling xlibs.
locale set to C means US English which is the 'common' locale.

mtpaint that I compiled uses gtk 1.2 and still loads okay.

There were 568 hits on these two warning lines.

I am using an OLD Xlib (xlibs - X libraries) from Slackware 7.1 and I have no idea whether i18n module is enabled. How do I determine if a version of xlibs has it enabled, whatever it is? Something related to UTF-8?

Since this problem might affect other X programs in BL, I hope someone can figure it out soon. The only way to run Seamonkey without upgrading to at least glibc 2.3.2 is to compile it yourself from 365MB of source code.

BL does not have a /usr/lib/X11 or xlibi18n.so.2
I think this was from Arch linux. But people had problems with Debian and Ubuntu and other linuxes.

Should I upgrade xlibs to Slackware 9.1 xlibs, or maybe glibc to 2.3.6?
(It is hard to downgrade back to an earlier glibc).

Sindi

-----------------

After update glibc to 2.4-1, when run gtk aplications
like xmms, I give something like this:
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
and I have not right locale for this apps.
Greetings,
Miroslaw

Comment by [37]Jan de Groot (JGC) - Friday, 26 May 2006, 02:11 GMT-4
The problem is in the new Xlib that has the i18n module enabled. Somehow locales don't work with this one anymore. Will see what a version without i18n
module loader does.

Comment by [38]AqD (aquila_deus) - Friday, 26 May 2006, 12:20 GMT-4
rebuild libx11 with --disable-loadable-i18n (the default option) will solve the problem.
There are at least two problems with --enable-loadable-i18n:
1.libx11 will try to load /usr/lib/X11/locale/common/xlibi18n.so.2, which is actually located at /usr/lib/X11/locale/lib/common/xlibi18n.so.2
2.With *.UTF-8 locale, it will try to load /usr/lib/X11/locale/common/xlcUTF-8.so.2, which doesn't exist at all. There is another file named
xlcUTF8Loader.so - it could be loaded fine but will throw the same error "locale not supported..".
If you use ISO-9660-1 locale, symbol link /usr/lib/X11/locale/common to lib/common will work.

Comment by [39]Miroslaw Czachor (forest76) - Friday, 26 May 2006, 14:35 GMT-4
Thank's after rebulid gtk aplications works fine
Greetings,
Miroslaw

Sindi Keesan