baslinux - Re: [BL] Error: 0x09

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Error: 0x09
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:07:44 +0000 (UTC)

How exactly do I use this lilo.conf to set up 2-floppy BL3 with lilo boot?

Sindi

Lilo apparently will install to hda but not to fd0 from higher-numbered extended partitions (in my case hda9). I set up BL in /hda5 (first extended partition) and installed from there, to avoid an error message about extended partitions when trying to use lilo. For some reason Steven's lilo.conf worked on older desktops (through about 1999) and laptops, but not on newer ones, when booting with my larger kernel.
Removing 'compact' fixes this problem. Since 'compact' is said to cause problems on 'older computers' I suggest not including it in BL FD. I also added append="nomce" because Compaq Armadas won't boot with kernel 2.2.26 otherwise but give an mce error message.
Copy to /etc of an ext2 BL with lilo in it the following:

#lilo.conf

boot=/dev/fd0
install=/fd/boot.b
map=/fd/map
delay=50
# compact #Causes 0x09 error when booting with fb kernel
apend="nomce" #Needed with kernel 2.2.26 on Compaq Armada laptops
read-write
image=/fd/zimage
label=BL3_ramdisk
root=/dev/ram0
initrd=/fd/disk1.gz
image=/fd/zimage
label=hd

To set up my disk1, or modify Steven's disk1 to use the above lilo.conf:

insert disk1
mount /dev/fd0 /fd
lilo -v
umount /fd

I used the above to make a new 2-floppy BL3.50 that would work on all our laptops, with framebuffer kernel so it would load xfbdev instead of Xvesa (will work with neomagic where Xvesa does not), no mgp, different modules (wireless) and additional free space (you can add dbclient-uclibc).
The original won't work with neomagic, or with Compaq Armada (because 2.2.26 kernel are mce by default, whereas 2.2.27 fixed this to nomce).
Before I removed 'compact' disk1 would boot on older laptops but not newer (circa 2000) desktops, and got error 0x09 which is due to 'compact', which can cause older (sic) computers to hang. I suggest not using it in BL. You can run lilo on Steven's disk1 to modify how it boots.

Download http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/bl35fdfb.zip
Unzip it.

insert disk1
dd if=disk1f.img of=/dev/fd0
remove disk1

insert disk2
mount /dev/fd0 /fd
cp disk2f.tgz /fd
copy any additional modules or programs to this disk (1225377 bytes out of about 1457000 possible, which leaves over 143K free for dbclient-uclibc)
umount /fd

To boot into 800x600 framebuffer mode, change my lilo.conf by adding vga=788 and run lilo with it after mounting /dev/fd0 /fd .