baslinux - Re: [BL] Reading manual pages

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reading manual pages
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:37:07 -0000

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, ian wrote:
>
> > Funny you should mention that, my phone line just went completely
> > dead, something to do with the snow we had recently, I bet.
> > So this goes over the cell-phone network, expensive.

Sindi wrote.

> Does that work with linux?

I tried very hard but had little success. I did manage to get some sort of a
connection
using a chat script but I never succeeded in pinging anything beyond the
remote
gateway. These are UMTS modems and they are an awkward bunch, most of the
pc-card ones are cardbus, not all. They are not exactly similar to ordinary
modems,
as they are multifunction cards. Not entirely sure what that means but the
one I
experimented with, if installed absolutely correctly uses two com ports.

There are people on the internet who have got these things working with Linux,
but so far, not me. Im reckoning that if I get a decent install of Slackware
10
going on my P2 laptop, Im in with a better chance than with the BL kernel.
There might be some more appropriate kernel modules.

GSM, I sometimes used to use with DOS. With the right card, I doubt whether
there would be a problem with Linux, but whats the use of 9600. However,
these
GPRS and 3G cards are harder. Expect Ill get there in the end but no time
ATM for further experimentation.

> You don't need lynx, but I don't know a way to pipe an html file to links.
> There is a recent lynxat my website (from Karolis) which only has the
> essentials.

With this cell network, where one pays by the byte, a Windows Lynx
would be good ATM.

> >> or
> >> zcat filename.gz | man2html > filename.html
> >
> >> and view with links (or elinks, dillo, opera, netrik, arena...)
>
> You could probably do a batch conversion with some script.

Improving my very elementary bash scripting skills is definitely
on the agenda. Thanks Sindi.

Ian.