baslinux - [BL] cardbus problems "no IRQ known for pin A of device ."

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] cardbus problems "no IRQ known for pin A of device ."
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:22:48 +0000 (UTC)

A cardbus non-wireless ethernet card works with kernel 2.4.31 in BL3.5 and BL2.1. I only needed to add cb_enabler in config, and the correct module for my 3com card (which came with the pcmcia 3.2.8 package that I compiled - 3c575_cb.o).

I have compiled drivers for three different wireless cardbus cards and they all complain of not finding an irq and suggest booting with pci=biosirq but that did not help.

Someone with a Toshiba was able to assign an IRQ to his cardbus card in BIOS setup but my cheap Compaq Presario (233MHz CyrixGXMedia) has a standard desktop-type BIOS without any way to assign IRQs to PCI devices.

Other reports of this problem said the device number was specified and not just '.' but perhaps they are using different drivers. This one is rt2500 for Belkin Wireless G. I had similar problems with D-Link.

I tried various suggestions for using pcmcia_core and i82365 to set IRQ, none of which worked. PCMCIA-HOWTO. It explains how PCMCIA assigns numbers depending on four pins. Over my head.

ACPI can be used to set IRQ. lspci gives info about pci devices.
BL does not have these.

How can I assign an IRQ to this PCI device using BL3?

I don't know the device number. /proc/pci lists things by function. I assume it is last in the list. Bus 1, device 0, function 0. Everything else is Bus 0. Class 0280: (rev 1).

There is only one pcmcia socket in the laptop.

Cardbus cards do not work in my slower laptops even in one Armada where they fit. cardctl ident assigns them all the same id (0xffff) which is wrong.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] cardbus problems "no IRQ known for pin A of device .", baslinux, 02/19/2009