baslinux - Re: [BL] Reading manual pages

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reading manual pages
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 23:26:16 +0000 (GMT)

Sindi wrote.

> Steven converted the BL3 man pages to text somehow.

The man program appears to work by piping output for Less
to display so I suppose that if one was direct that to
a file instead, you'd get a text file.

> Man.tgz for Slackware 7.1 came with man2html in man.tgz (1.5h) but it was
> not yet included in an earlier man in Slackware 4.0. I was able to
> compile man-1.5k for glibc (man2html and other programs that don't all
> work). The included 'man' program requires nroff.

Had a look at these *off progs a year ago and ISTR nroff will then
want another one of them and so on.

> zcat file.1.gz | man2html | lynx -stdin
>
> or
>
> gunzip file.1.gz
> man2html file.1.gz > file.html
> links to view

The man program will search a number of different locations for
the required page. Might be a way to get it to do that and
then pipe it through man2html, instead of through xoff.
Anyway, thats promising. Ive given in and put groff on the
p2 Im working on but I might try the man2html on the Satellite
later. Thanks Sindi.

> I may try compiling man2html for libc5 eventually.

Ha, good luck with that, sounds tricky.

--
Bye now, Ian.

info@freedomnet..&&..org..&&..uk