baslinux - Re: [BL] Reading manual pages

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reading manual pages
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 00:01:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, ian wrote:

Funny you should mention that, my phone line just went completely
dead, something to do with the snow we had recently, I bet.
So this goes over the cell-phone network, expensive.

Does that work with linux?

zcat `find /usr -name $1.*gz` | man2html | lynx -stdin

This should find man pages anywhere in /usr and display them.
(You will also need lynx).

Does that recurse directories? (do subdirectories as well) -- Ive never used "find"

Yes. If you put all man pages in the same directory (/usr/man) and change the script to find /usr/man it will go a lot faster.

Wrote on my notepad today "install lynx", but now, with the phone
line down, Ive got to spend ages setting up pegasus mail on this
XP laptop, just so I can get mail.

You don't need lynx, but I don't know a way to pipe an html file to links. There is a recent lynxat my website (from Karolis) which only has the essentials.

or
zcat filename.gz | man2html > filename.html

and view with links (or elinks, dillo, opera, netrik, arena...)

You could probably do a batch conversion with some script.