baslinux - Re: [BL] Reading manual pages

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reading manual pages
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:43:20 -0000

Sindi wrote:

> I am fully online whenever I dial the (free) ISP.

Funny you should mention that, my phone line just went completely
dead, something to do with the snow we had recently, I bet.
So this goes over the cell-phone network, expensive.

> Since you have glibc already, get Slackware 7.1 man2html

> Make a script named man (or manh, or ...)

I use SW10, coz Ive got the discs.

> zcat `find /usr -name $1.*gz` | man2html | lynx -stdin

> This should find man pages anywhere in /usr and display them.
> (You will also need lynx).

Does that recurse directories? (do subdirectories as well) -- Ive never used
"find"
Wrote on my notepad today "install lynx", but now, with the phone
line down, Ive got to spend ages setting up pegasus mail on this
XP laptop, just so I can get mail.

> or
> zcat filename.gz | man2html > filename.html

> and view with links (or elinks, dillo, opera, netrik, arena...)

> You can use a browser to convert the html to plain text.

Thanks Sindi, Im going to give this a try.

Ian.