baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 + Sound Blaster

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 + Sound Blaster
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 10:21:02 -0300

Dear Sindi,

Presently I can listen to mp3 with a loud and clear stereo signal (128
kbit/s, 44100hz ).
dma16 works only with 5 and all the other settings make the sound mute.
I can do it in text mode or even after X is started with no differences.

However, sometimes (randomly, I supppose - there's no pattern) the sound
breaks and I get one or more messages like this:
"Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?"
When the sound mutes due to other dma16 settings (except 5), I can hear
nothing but the system echoes a long amount of lines like that one.

Just to remember, my settings are

insmod sb_io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5
insmod awe_wave io=0x620
insmod opl3 io=0x388

test.mp3 gives me a mono sample wich sounds too roughly, but not so bad
after all.
All of my mp3 files are 128-192 kbits/s. 44100hz and they sound good, except
for the breaks.

Using mpg123 -2 does not affect the sound and -4 doubles the tune and the
speed.

For testing porposes, I've copied one of these files to /home and I do

cd /home
mpg123 gabriel5.mp3

or

mpg123 /home/gabriel5.mp3

"System resources" says mpg123 is using only 16% CPU and very low memory but
every times I move the mouse the sound gets strange for a few moments. All
the other processes take less than 1% and practically no cpu but it gives
the impression of a heavy processing effort anyway.

OTOH I think typing "ls" to get the directory contents and "mpg123
name_of_the_file.mp3" is a too long approach to get a few mp3 files played.
Isn't there a shorter way, for example, just clicking on the file's name?
(Actually when I do this I get only the code listing).

I simply don't know how can I manage to listen to CD audio.
I believe I don't have to "mount" an audio CD, but how can I play it?
My CD player is a 52x LG with no earphone output, so it depends on the SB
card.

I thank again and again you for your great patience and for all your help.

Teixeira