baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 + Sound Blaster

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: Basic Linux <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 + Sound Blaster
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 03:26:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I used Creative 'diagnose' program in DOS to determine the settings for my
AWE64 card. I have it posted at my website
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/diagnose.exe

You can run it from a DOS boot floppy disk.

I run 'diagnose' from a DOS-formatted floppy and it said OK to 8 and 16 bit
testing, but I had no sinthesised sound. (From a DOS-window in Windows 98 it
plays the first sinthesised test but not the second).
I believe my card doesn't work properly under DOS (This I'm not sure).

All of my ISA Creative sound cards work perfectly in DOS. I don't know what your problem is with DOS synthesized sound.

Does the DOS diagnose program tell you the two DMA settings (low and high)? For MP3 playing you need both.

To get synthesized sound in linux you also need to insmod opl3 io=0x388.
(use module opl3.o)

If you have an AWE (advanced wave effect) card there is no reason to use synthesized sound. Use awe instead, it sounds much better.
insmod awe_wave io=0x620
(use module awe_wave.o).

One of our list members compiled and posted a Timidity packages to play midi files, with 'patches' that sound even better so you do not need synthesized or awe sound.

I may also have used DOS ctcm to set the following settings, so they might
differ from your card. Try dma16=5 anyway (I think you only need to
choose a free dma16 setting in the range 3 4 5, with dma1 in the range 0 1
2). In theory you should use isapnp program from Slackware to set these
settings, with a configuration file, but it is rather complicated and I
gave up on it eventually and just boot via DOS if I want to change
settings, or determine the default with diagnose and use that.

insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5

My settings are these, except for dma16 which is set to zero, but it's
making no difference.

Did you try using dma16=5 instead of 0? Zero may not be an acceptable setting. (I think low dma can be 0 1 2, high DMA 3 4 5, but see what diagnose tells you). Without the correct dma16, I also could not open /dev/dsp.

The problem is that I can't open /dev/dsp - whatever I try to do.
Under Knoppix the settings are the same, but mp3 is sent to /dev/null.
There I can listen to CD, mp3 and MIDI as well, but not under BL3.

Can you listen to anything in BL3?

To listen to CDs, use workbone and you need to make a symlink
If your CD drive is hdc (secondary master)
ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom

To listen to mp3s you need /dev/dsp so try dma16=5

.
Sindi

I had a look into the BL3 archives and really there's a good amount of
valuable tips,
but I couldn't find a word of solution.
Many users complain about the impossibility of opening /dev/dsp.
I still can't listen to andio CDs.

That sounds like a different problem. I thought your problem was MP3s.

Sindi

Teixeira