baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 + Sound Blaster

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 + Sound Blaster
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:48:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Dear Sindi,

Presently I can listen to mp3 with a loud and clear stereo signal (128
kbit/s, 44100hz ).
dma16 works only with 5 and all the other settings make the sound mute.
I can do it in text mode or even after X is started with no differences.

Very good!

However, sometimes (randomly, I supppose - there's no pattern) the sound
breaks and I get one or more messages like this:
"Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?"
When the sound mutes due to other dma16 settings (except 5), I can hear
nothing but the system echoes a long amount of lines like that one.

Just to remember, my settings are

insmod sb_io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5

Maybe something else in your system is using IRQ 5?

When you run diagnose, what IRQ does it use?
The native IRQ for AWE64 may be something like irq=10.

You can use isapnp tools to change it, or DOS ctcm and then loadlin, or just figure out with diagnose what it is to start with and set it that way in linux.

insmod awe_wave io=0x620
insmod opl3 io=0x388
These will let you listen to midi files using the sounds stored on the card, or FM synthesis. If you don't listen to midi, don't insert them.

test.mp3 gives me a mono sample wich sounds too roughly, but not so bad
after all.
All of my mp3 files are 128-192 kbits/s. 44100hz and they sound good, except
for the breaks.

Using mpg123 -2 does not affect the sound and -4 doubles the tune and the
speed.

Typing mpg123 with no argument lists the options.

-4 makes it 11 kHz, which if you play it with the same number of bits per second, ought to make it four times as fast and as a result also higher pitched. -2 makes it 22 kKz, which for some reason you cannot hear differently (nor can I, I just checked). Maybe for mono files things get divided in two (or multiplied by two).

mpg123 -4 for me also makes no difference. I am using a PCI sound card right now. SBLive. It also does not respond to g .5, which should cut the volume in half. 'Can't get audio device features list.' Maybe it does not respond to -2 and -4 either. Maybe your card responds not quite right to them.

-0 and -1 should play one channel each.

mplayer controls volume with / and *.

For testing porposes, I've copied one of these files to /home and I do

cd /home
mpg123 gabriel5.mp3

or

mpg123 /home/gabriel5.mp3

"System resources" says mpg123 is using only 16% CPU and very low memory but
every times I move the mouse the sound gets strange for a few moments. All
the other processes take less than 1% and practically no cpu but it gives
the impression of a heavy processing effort anyway.

less /proc/interrupts

It should list the IRQs used by timer, keyboard, cascade, ide0, ide1 and whatever else you have added such as modem and sound card.

My ltserial modem is using IRQ 5. My EMU10K1 sound card is using IRQ 12.
My mouse is not plugged in.

What IRQs are being used on your computer? Mouse and sound might be using the same one.

OTOH I think typing "ls" to get the directory contents and "mpg123
name_of_the_file.mp3" is a too long approach to get a few mp3 files played.
Isn't there a shorter way, for example, just clicking on the file's name?
(Actually when I do this I get only the code listing).

Switches listed include -z for shuffle play, -Z for random play.
You can type mpg123 * to play everything ending in .mp3 in the current directory.

See the man page. You can direct output to speaker or headphones or line-out. set speed slower by playing each frame n times, or use doublespeed. mpg123 can also listen to streaming mp3s.

wget -O - http://....... | mpg123 -
(put the URL in where you see .....)

This creates a small buffer.

I simply don't know how can I manage to listen to CD audio.
I thought I said to install workbone and ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom.
Then type workbone, turn on numlock, and use the number pad to control it.

I believe I don't have to "mount" an audio CD, but how can I play it?
You do not mount audio CDs.

My CD player is a 52x LG with no earphone output, so it depends on the SB
card.

I thank again and again you for your great patience and for all your help.
Lots of people helped me.
Sindi

Teixeira