baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 + Sound Blaster

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: Basic Linux <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 + Sound Blaster
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 02:10:13 +0000 (UTC)

I used Creative 'diagnose' program in DOS to determine the settings for my AWE64 card. I have it posted at my website
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/diagnose.exe

You can run it from a DOS boot floppy disk.

I may also have used DOS ctcm to set the following settings, so they might differ from your card. Try dma16=5 anyway (I think you only need to choose a free dma16 setting in the range 3 4 5, with dma1 in the range 0 1 2). In theory you should use isapnp program from Slackware to set these settings, with a configuration file, but it is rather complicated and I gave up on it eventually and just boot via DOS if I want to change settings, or determine the default with diagnose and use that.

insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5

The next part is only for playing midi files:

insmod awe_wave io=0x620 (the io part is probably optional)

awe_wave is not needed if you don't use the awe feature for playing midi files, but opl3, in which case

insmod opl3 io=0x388

I think mp3 players use dma16 and wav players do not need it.

Can you play wav (slackware sox package, play) or midi (playmidi) files?
I think I posted a libc5 playmidi package. You need to specify with -4 to use opl3, or with -e external midi, or -a use awe.

Try also workbone on a music cd, after linking hdc or whatever your CD-ROM drive is to /dev/cdrom: ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom

There is a uclibc mplayer package that will play wav or mp3 files (with the correct dma16).

I posted a lot about sound in the archives a few years ago. Search via the BL3 website, support, archives 'awe64'.
v_midi may be needed for external midi (electronic keyboard)
You can play streaming mp3's with mpg123 and a script.
Sindi