baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 + Sound Blaster

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 + Sound Blaster
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:24:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Dear Sindi,

These are the results of 'less /proc/interrupts'

| CPU0 (*) | |
-----+-----------+--------+--------------
0 | 45977 | XT-PIC | timer
1 | 170 | XT-PIC | keyboard
2 | 0 | XT-PIC | cascade
3 | 100 | XT-PIC | serial (modem on COM2)
4 | 904 | XT-PIC | serial (mouse on COM1)
5 | 1 | XT-PIC | soundblaster

IRQ 5 is correct for your sound card.

13 | 1 | XT-PIC | fpu
14 | 89783 | XT-PIC | ide0
15 | 7 | XT-PIC | ide1
NMI | 0 | |

(*) These numbers varied all the times the test was performed.

I've downloaded 'workbone.tgz' from Slackware 4.0 but I'd forgotten to 'pkg'
it...

Now I have good sound quality for audio CDs, except for the fact of having
only the "R" channel.
"L" is muted somehow with a little "buzzing" in background (not only under
BL3 but also under every other Linuxes I've tried).

Very odd. Do you use the same speakers every time, and also with Windows?

I think Windows uses some different proccess, because I can get both
channels with it, but then the sound quality is not "that" bad - but just
fair.

So I suppose something in the SB card is out of order and I'll have to take
a further look on it.

Unhappily the most of my hardware came to me through donations and some
peripherals are very old - others were dead.

We get our equipment the same way. It is fun diagnosing problems but sometimes it would be nice if things just worked.

I can say the sound (software) is OK and I have learnt a lot, thanks to you.

Many other people taught me what I learned, on this list.

Since 'workbone' is a non-X application the menu becomes visually strange.
Is there a way of working around it? ( Just for curiousity: This isn't so
important after all ) .

Ctrl-Alt-F2 gets you a full-screen terminal to run it in, white on black.
I have never used it under X. What does it look like? Maybe you can design an rxvt (xterm) that looks better.

Thanks for your kind attention.

Thank you. Sindi

Teixeira