baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 + Sound Blaster

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 + Sound Blaster
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:22:57 -0300

>> (Edited for short)
>>
>> Now I have good sound quality for audio CDs, except for the fact of
having
>> only the "R" channel.
>> "L" is muted somehow with a little "buzzing" in background (not only
under
>> BL3 but also under every other Linuxes I've tried).

>Very odd. Do you use the same speakers every time, and also with Windows?

Yes I do. The same to speakers and headphones, which I prefer.
Debian, Kurumin and Basic Linux allow me to choose between speakers and
headphones, but Windows doesn't.

I believe the only difference is the impedance, which is lower for speakers
(8 ohms) and a little higher for headphones (32 ohms).
In theory, listening to headphones at 8 ohms would cut the treble
frequencies, but this kind of perception is too difficult to the human
ears.
And in this case, the sound card circuitry would provide this change
automatically - also in theory.

>> I can say the sound (software) is OK and I have learnt a lot, thanks to
you.

>Many other people taught me what I learned, on this list.

And I'm also trying to help other people, but your dedication and kindness
are just fantastic!

>> Since 'workbone' is a non-X application the menu becomes visually
strange.
>> Is there a way of working around it? ( Just for curiousity: This isn't so
>> important after all ) .

>Ctrl-Alt-F2 gets you a full-screen terminal to run it in, white on black.
>I have never used it under X. What does it look like? Maybe you can
>design an rxvt (xterm) that looks better.

It looks fine in text mode, but under X only "_"s and "|"s are
shown in a "white desert"
(however the word "quit" and the question mark (?) are shown in reverse).
As a provisory solution, I've printed that menu and I keep it near the
monitor screen.
I'll try to edit it somehow and tell you what I've got.

Thanks.

Teixeira