baslinux - Re: [BL] bent linux precompiled uclibc programs

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bent linux precompiled uclibc programs
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:41:11 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> I would appreciate a smaller, faster, NON-GRAPHICAL
> javascript browser that accesses more sites than
> links2 does.

That may not be possible. Non-graphical javascript
may not be able to do what you want. I don't know a
lot about javascript, but it appears that the fishhook
in your example is:
------------------
javascript:void(0)
------------------
Every one of the links, which links2 fails to action,
says the same thing. I conclude from this that the
execution of javascript:void(0) depends to some degree
on the graphical layout of the screen.

Certainly there are some straightforward javascript
commands that make sense in a non-graphical setting
(and links2 probably implements those), but it seems
likely to me that some javascript commands may not
be doable non-graphically.

> > Is the elinks javascript actually working for you?
> > I thought you said there was some problem.
>
> NO, that is why I keep hoping you will try compiling
> it. I followed instructions, downloaded a js package
> from mozilla, patched it, did whatever else I was told,

As I understand it, the elinks developers are enthusiastic
hackers who enjoy experimenting with stuff. Therefore,
I am not confident that their javascript patch actually
works (particularly since the real links developers have
decided to abandon javascript). Even if the elinks hack
does work to some degree, there are still potential
problems getting it work on libc5 and a 2.2 kernel.
It seems like a lot of effort for something that will
probably fail.

> > The links1.tgz package for BL3 is an enhanced version
> > of links (it includes SSL, multiple languages, and
> > numerous feature upgrades). It is significantly
> > superior to the links95 in BL3.
>
> Is this a different branch from what is now up to 0.99?

links has moved beyond 0.99. It is currently on 1.00.
The links123 package for BL3 is 1.00pre23