baslinux - Re: [BL] bent linux precompiled uclibc programs

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bent linux precompiled uclibc programs
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 03:59:58 +0000 (UTC)

elinks-uclibc is 2.4MB.
elinks dynamic against glibc is 1.6MB

About lists SSL but not javascript support, No Backtrace, etc., same as
what I compiled. Works in BL2. I need to reboot to BL3 to test.
Sindi

First I rebooted to BL3 with 2.4.31 kernel so I could copy elinks to my USB flash drive. The uclibc elinks worked perfectly off and online (once I remembered to update pppd to work with the ltmodem), showing all the text. So did the glibc elinks I had compiled.

Then I rebooted to BL3 with 2.2.26 kernel. The elinks I compiled is back to invisible pages. The uclibc elinks no longer works at all:

ERROR at home.c:149. Unable to find or create Elinks config directory.....
ERROR at main.c:244: Unable to attach_terminal().

elinks appears to require a 2.4 kernel to display pages.
uClibc elinks appears to require a 2.4 kernel to work at all.

Is there a later 2.2 kernel than 2.2.26?

Add these to the list of things that need 2.4 kernel - the newer busybox (uclibc based), most USB storage devices and probably other hardware.

To use links in BL3, you need a 2.4 kernel, but not glibc. It should work in less RAM than Opera even with a larger kernel, and even at 2.4MB it is smaller than Opera or links2 (but nongraphical).

Perhaps Steven would like to offer us a minimal 2.4 kernel for BL3 with support for USB storage, also usable with elinks?

The main reason to use elinks is for its partial javascript and also ECMAscript support (a website listed them separately), if it can be compiled with them successfully. I wrote Karolis with this challenge.