baslinux - Re: [BL] bent linux precompiled uclibc programs

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bent linux precompiled uclibc programs
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 05:48:47 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> The links2 javascript support is not very good and
> won't work at any of the sites I want it for.

I find the links2 javascript quite useful. It is
sufficient for many of the sites I regularly use.

> Opera 9.26 is 16.6MB and needs 5MB of glibc =
> 22MB disk space. (Older versions are smaller
> but not up to date on the javascript).

Even the older versions of Opera have better javascript
than links2. Are you saying the javascript in the
older Operas won't work at any of the sites you want
it for?

> This makes Opera not the best browser for a low-RAM BL3,

I agree. I do not recommend Opera for low-RAM, slow-CPU
computers. links2 is the recommended graphical browser
for BL3.

> most of the time I only want to read the text at a
> site with javascript.

If the links2 javascript isn't adequate, I suggest you
try an earlier version of Opera. Some of them were
only half the size the current version. Surely there
must be an old Opera that had sufficient javascript
for you without all the current bloat.

> I would use links2 graphical with ssl, and switch
> to elinks if I hit javascript.

Is the elinks javascript actually working for you?
I thought you said there was some problem.

> How long does it take you to load Opera on a
> computer with 16MB RAM?

With 16mb RAM, I do not use Opera -- I use links
or links2. I advise people with 16mb RAM not to
use Opera.

> 'enhanced links' is what they are calling elinks.

Sometimes they call it "experimental links".
Sometimes they call it "extended links".
Anything starting with an e will do.

> Your links123 is something different.

The links1.tgz package for BL3 is an enhanced version
of links (it includes SSL, multiple languages, and
numerous feature upgrades). It is significantly
superior to the links95 in BL3. However, it is also
significantly bigger and slower (so users with low
RAM should only use links123 if they really need it).