baslinux - Re: [BL] bent linux precompiled uclibc programs

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bent linux precompiled uclibc programs
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:13:52 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

The links2 javascript support is not very good and
won't work at any of the sites I want it for.

I find the links2 javascript quite useful. It is
sufficient for many of the sites I regularly use.

You are lucky.

It did not work at the Palm download site.

The page I want to use most is
http://uuis.umich.edu/events/dayview.cfm?sponsor=155
I cannot access the links to individual events. Opera works here, puts the description at page bottom (I have to page down and then back up again - I think it is supposed to open a popup box instead).

Opera 9.26 is 16.6MB and needs 5MB of glibc =
22MB disk space. (Older versions are smaller
but not up to date on the javascript).

Even the older versions of Opera have better javascript
than links2. Are you saying the javascript in the
older Operas won't work at any of the sites you want
it for?

No, I am saying Opera is big and slow and I would rather not be forced to use it to view text because of the javascript.

This makes Opera not the best browser for a low-RAM BL3,

I agree. I do not recommend Opera for low-RAM, slow-CPU
computers. links2 is the recommended graphical browser
for BL3.

I would appreciate a smaller, faster, NON-GRAPHICAL javascript browser that accesses more sites than links2 does.

most of the time I only want to read the text at a
site with javascript.

If the links2 javascript isn't adequate, I suggest you
try an earlier version of Opera. Some of them were
only half the size the current version. Surely there
must be an old Opera that had sufficient javascript
for you without all the current bloat.

Earlier versions of Opera appear to download all the images (even if told not to display the images). They take much longer to even load than any of the text browsers. But I will see if Opera 6 works at my music events site. Thanks for the idea. I assume that Mozilla Spidermonkey is more up to date with the script stuff than an old Opera. My music events site just switched to javascript in the past year.

I would use links2 graphical with ssl, and switch
to elinks if I hit javascript.

Is the elinks javascript actually working for you?
I thought you said there was some problem.

NO, that is why I keep hoping you will try compiling it. I followed instructions, downloaded a js package from mozilla, patched it, did whatever else I was told, something seemed to be missing, and the configure program said javascript was not there. See my relevant (long) posting. I don't understand the instructions (terminology).

How long does it take you to load Opera on a
computer with 16MB RAM?

With 16mb RAM, I do not use Opera -- I use links
or links2. I advise people with 16mb RAM not to
use Opera.

I have used it, but it is slow and swaps a lot.

We have a nice small 133MHz Toshiba (no CD-ROM drive so lighter) with USB port that I would like to use with 2.4.31 kernel and a javascript elinks, with wireless pcmcia card. There is now a wireless signal (free) downtown outdoors only, with no place to plug in a computer. (A sub shop with an indoor signal would not let us try it without paying for a sandwich and the signal was too weak to catch indoors at the place which provides the signal, 10 feet from the pole with transmitter).

The older computers come with NiCad or NiMH batteries which we can probably replace dead cells in. Li-ion is less safe to fiddle with.

If elinks javascript worked, it ought to run in 16MB even if it needed 5MB extra for the kernel. I don't NEED to view images with it, since I can choose to download them.

'enhanced links' is what they are calling elinks.

Sometimes they call it "experimental links".
Sometimes they call it "extended links".
Anything starting with an e will do.

Your links123 is something different.

The links1.tgz package for BL3 is an enhanced version
of links (it includes SSL, multiple languages, and
numerous feature upgrades). It is significantly
superior to the links95 in BL3. However, it is also
significantly bigger and slower (so users with low
RAM should only use links123 if they really need it).

Is this a different branch from what is now up to 0.99?