baslinux - Re: [BL] limit on the # of open rxvt terms?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] limit on the # of open rxvt terms?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:18:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Sindi wrote:

ls /dev/ptyp?
ls /dev/ttyp?

This will probably list numbers 0 through 8 (1 through 9?).
You probably need to make ptyp9 and ttyp9 etc.

Steven said it was a b c etc. not 10 11 12.

Thanks for that information, Sindi. I didn't check yet, but I bet you're
right about why I can't open more than 9 rxvt's.

Actually, now that I've thought about this more, I think I would rather
install screen than mknod those extra device files. I've been using screen
more lately and it seems the more I use it, the more I like it. I
think you tried it at some point, too, didn't you? I'm guessing I'll find
screen in Slack4, but it would be nice to have a more recent version. I
think I'll look at later Slack versions as well. I don't suppose you tried
compiling screen for BL? I didn't see it at your site. I may even try my
hand at compiling it if I don't find something that seems like it would
work.

I used the version from Slackware 8.1 when I could not find one for 7.1. I then needed the ncurses from Slackware 8.1. If you upgrade your libraries to use Opera, you can use these two packages.

Dependencies are:

libncurses.so.5 - 253K

(I think you cannot use so.3.4 which I already had probably from Slackware 3.4). Get from Slackware 8.1. This package ncurses-5.2-i386-4 includes a bunch of stuff you would only need for compiling (*.a *.h) and various additional executables (tic tack toe tset....) and man doc.... I think you only need the one library. The package is about 2MB.

tar -zxvf ncurses* lib/libncurses.so.5.2 to extract one file then
symlink manually or with ldconfig

libutil.so.1
libcrypt.so.1 libc.so.6
ld-linux.so.2
(these four are ind glibc)

I have screen39, 291K package, you can omit the doc files and the info and man files, which leaves only the binary, 297K.

Have you been compiling for BL3?
If you are planning to use Opera, you may as well use precompiled things for glibc.

I might be able to temporarily rename glibc from libc.so.6 to libc.so.6-bak to compile against libc in BL3.

Sindi

Thanks,
James