baslinux - Re: [BL] bzimage.big and scsi

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bzimage.big and scsi
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 13:19:15 -0400

Thank you, Sindi, for helping to clear up which kernels and modules to
use for scsi support and pport iomega zip drives.

Sindi wrote:
> Whether or not to insert these two modules depends on the kernel
> you are using.
>
> There are two ways to do this:
> 1. Use a kernel which is configured to let you insert these two modules.
>
> (In .config CONFIG_SCSI=m and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m) and insert the
> modules. This is my bzimagsm.431 kernel.

Your bzimagsm.431 kernel is found within
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/ and some instructions for this
at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/blfiles.htm in the section 'FULL
2.4.31 KERNEL in /bl/2.4.31'

Question still remains for what this bzimagsm.431 kernel is optimized
for besides CONFIG_SCSI=m(or y) and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m(or y) ???
This besides the listed
- ppp support
- USB support (as modules)
- sound support (as modules)
- framebuffer (vesafb, plus modules for matroxfb and atyfb)

Sindi wrote:
> 2. Use a kernel with these modules built-in (y instead of m) and do not
> insert the modules. BL3 bzimage.big is this type of kernel.
>
> The smaller BL3.5 kernels have =n so none of them will work with scsi
> devices. Therefore you must use bzimage.big, which has them built in, and
> you do not need to insert them. If you DO insert them when they are
> built in it causes problems (probably a crash).

Is the bzimagsm.431 kernel then considered to be more of a smaller
BL3.5 kernel like the the optimized zimage.4dx, zimage.p1, or
zimage.p2 kernels -or- is it larger and less architecture-optimized as
is the case with the BL3 bzimage.big kernel ??

Guess what I am trying to get at is this: How is it possible to use
the smallest, most optimized kernel for my architecture and yet have
the advantages present of doing an insmod for SCSI followed by ppa/imm
(iomega zip drives) or even USB upon need -- and doing such insmod's
without causing crashes ??

> Yes. These other three zimage kernels are not designed to let you
> insert the scsi_mod and sd_mod modules. bzimage.big does not need
> them inserted, they are built-in. So for BL3 follow Steven's original
> instructions, but if ppa does not work, use imm instead.

Hmm, based upon this, the optimized scenario I am trying to get to is
just not feasible at the present time w/o using bzimage.big....

-hw