baslinux - Re: [BL] bzimage.big and scsi

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bzimage.big and scsi
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 23:38:43 -0700 (PDT)

> Subject: Re: [BL] bzimage.big and scsi
> format=flowed
>
> bzimage.big has
> >>
> >> CONFIG_SCSI=y
> >> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
> >>

> Therefore when using a parallel port zip drive
> (iomega) you should NOT
> insert scsi_mod or sd_mod, they are built into the
> kernel. Trying to
> insert these modules will cause problems.
>
> Using bzimage.big
>
> insmod parport
> insmod parport_pc
> insmod imm (or ppa)
>
> Sindi

This is probably confusing at least one person besides
me.
I wrote:
>> Trying to get my IOmega parallel port zip drive
>> working w BL3.
>> Does the BIOS setting need to be changed to have
>> BL3 recognize this by ppa? Is there another module
>> besides ppa.o I need to download and then run with
>> insmod?

Steven replied
> Sindi knows more about this than I do (I've never
> used a zip drive). However, I think you might
> need to activate the parallel port first by doing:
> -----------------
> insmod parport
> insmod parport_pc
> -----------------
> Then do: insmod ppa

Sindi added this

> insmod parport
> insmod parport_pc
> insmod scsi_mod
> insmod sd_mod
> insmod ppa (for older model)
> or
> insmod imm (for newer ZIP PLUS model)

> You probably need bzimage.big from the BL site
> (additional kernels and
> modules) for scsi support along with the above
> modules.

Now here.
Am using BL 3.5, the most current version.
Am NOT using a previous BL, for example, BL2x, BL3.2.
BL3.3, or BL3.4
As above, Sindi 1st wrote
> insmod parport
> insmod parport_pc
> insmod scsi_mod
> insmod sd_mod
> insmod ppa (for older model)
> or
> insmod imm (for newer ZIP PLUS

After this, Sindi then wrote, on top of this thread
actually
> when using a parallel port zip drive
> (iomega) you should NOT
> insert scsi_mod or sd_mod

With BL3.5 (specifically), in order to successfully
use a parallel port zip drive (iomega) according to
what Sindi claims above, is it now MANDATORY to use
bzimage.big -- thus possibly replacing
the optimized zimage.4dx, zimage.p1, or zimage.p2
kernels???

-dw