baslinux - Re: [BL] bzimage.big and scsi

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bzimage.big and scsi
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 23:04:28 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Thank you, Sindi, for helping to clear up which kernels and modules to
use for scsi support and pport iomega zip drives.

Sindi wrote:
Whether or not to insert these two modules depends on the kernel
you are using.

There are two ways to do this:
1. Use a kernel which is configured to let you insert these two modules.

(In .config CONFIG_SCSI=m and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m) and insert the
modules. This is my bzimagsm.431 kernel.

Your bzimagsm.431 kernel is found within
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/ and some instructions for this
at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/blfiles.htm in the section 'FULL
2.4.31 KERNEL in /bl/2.4.31'

The same directory has configuration files for all the kernels.
configsm.431

Question still remains for what this bzimagsm.431 kernel is optimized
for besides CONFIG_SCSI=m(or y) and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m(or y) ???

bzimagsy.431 has y rather than m (it is used to boot linux on a scsi drive)

This besides the listed
- ppp support
- USB support (as modules)
- sound support (as modules)
- framebuffer (vesafb, plus modules for matroxfb and atyfb)

Ask if you don't understand something, or research online what the different lines in the config (.config) file mean.

Sindi wrote:
2. Use a kernel with these modules built-in (y instead of m) and do not
insert the modules. BL3 bzimage.big is this type of kernel.

The smaller BL3.5 kernels have =n so none of them will work with scsi
devices. Therefore you must use bzimage.big, which has them built in, and
you do not need to insert them. If you DO insert them when they are
built in it causes problems (probably a crash).

Is the bzimagsm.431 kernel then considered to be more of a smaller
BL3.5 kernel like the the optimized zimage.4dx, zimage.p1, or
zimage.p2 kernels -or- is it larger and less architecture-optimized as
is the case with the BL3 bzimage.big kernel ??

This kernel has nothing to do with BL3.5. I compiled it for my own purposes, starting with a 2.4.31 kernel compiled by another list member which was larger, with reference to Steven's BL2 kernel. It is 670K - how big is bzimage.big? It has modular rather than built-in scsi support, which makes it smaller.

Guess what I am trying to get at is this: How is it possible to use
the smallest, most optimized kernel for my architecture and yet have
the advantages present of doing an insmod for SCSI followed by ppa/imm
(iomega zip drives) or even USB upon need -- and doing such insmod's
without causing crashes ??

Yes. These other three zimage kernels are not designed to let you
insert the scsi_mod and sd_mod modules. bzimage.big does not need
them inserted, they are built-in. So for BL3 follow Steven's original
instructions, but if ppa does not work, use imm instead.

Hmm, based upon this, the optimized scenario I am trying to get to is
just not feasible at the present time w/o using bzimage.big....

Are you short on RAM? bzimage.big is not all that huge. 759K.

Sindi

What would you like in a kernel? Perhaps you would be happy with one of my 2.4.31 kernels instead of bzimage. But then you need the 2.4.31 modules from one of my packages. If you are short of disk space you can delete the unused ones.