baslinux - [BL] bzimage.big and scsi

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] bzimage.big and scsi
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 16:58:35 +0000 (UTC)

I can boot from DOS to BL3.40 and BL2 on a scsi drive using a 2.4.31 kernel that I compiled myself.

loadlin bzimagsy.431 root=/dev/sda2 ro (or rw for BL3).

If I substitute BL3.50 bzimage.big, which has scsi_mod and sd_mod built in, it will not boot.

CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=m

I think this module needs to be built into the kernel in order to boot. aic7xxx is the module for the scsi controller card. All of my scsi cards (about 5) have been this model. I would appreciate having this change made to the 'big' kernel. The kernel as-is cannot be used to boot to BL on scsi drive, though it works for scsi-emulated things like parport zip drives and CD burners. You could even use real scsi devices like a scsi CD burner or scanner if you booted first to an IDE drive.

During attempted boot:

It finds hda and hdb but not sda:

scsi : 0 hosts
scsi : detected total
Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
hdb: hdb1 hdb2
VFS: cannot open root device 08:04
kernel panic: VFS : unable to mount root fs on 08:04.