baslinux - Re: [BL] bzimage.big and scsi

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bzimage.big and scsi
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 20:41:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

format=flowed

This is the configuration information for the bzimage.big kernel for BL3.
The scsi drivers are built into the kernel so do not need to be inserted as modules.

bzimage.big has

CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

Therefore when using a parallel port zip drive
(iomega) you should NOT
insert scsi_mod or sd_mod, they are built into the
kernel. Trying to
insert these modules will cause problems.

Using bzimage.big

insmod parport
insmod parport_pc
insmod imm (or ppa)

Sindi

This is probably confusing at least one person besides
me.
I wrote:
Trying to get my IOmega parallel port zip drive
working w BL3.
Does the BIOS setting need to be changed to have
BL3 recognize this by ppa? Is there another module
besides ppa.o I need to download and then run with
insmod?

Steven replied
Sindi knows more about this than I do (I've never
used a zip drive). However, I think you might
need to activate the parallel port first by doing:
-----------------
insmod parport
insmod parport_pc
-----------------
Then do: insmod ppa

The above is correct, when using bzimage.big
(unless you have an imm drive, then use imm not ppa)

Sindi added this

insmod parport
insmod parport_pc
insmod scsi_mod
insmod sd_mod
insmod ppa (for older model)
or
insmod imm (for newer ZIP PLUS model)

The above is correct for some kernels that I compiled for BL2 (2.4.31 kernels) which are set to accept scsi modules but do not have the drivers built into the kernel. It is not correct for the BL3 bzimage.big kernel

Whether or not to insert these two modules depends on the kernel you are using.

There are two ways to do this:
1. Use a kernel which is configured to let you insert these two modules.
(In .config CONFIG_SCSI=m and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m) and insert the modules. This is my bzimagsm.431 kernel.

2. Use a kernel with these modules built-in (y instead of m) and do not insert the modules. BL3 bzimage.big is this type of kernel.

The smaller BL3.5 kernels have =n so none of them will work with scsi devices. Therefore you must use bzimage.big, which has them built in, and you do not need to insert them. If you DO insert them when they are built in it causes problems (probably a crash).

With BL3.5 (specifically), in order to successfully
use a parallel port zip drive (iomega) according to
what Sindi claims above, is it now MANDATORY to use
bzimage.big -- thus possibly replacing
the optimized zimage.4dx, zimage.p1, or zimage.p2
kernels???

Yes. These other three zimage kernels are not designed to let you insert the scsi_mod and sd_mod modules. bzimage.big does not need them inserted, they are built-in. So for BL3 follow Steven's original instructions, but if ppa does not work, use imm instead.

Sindi

-dw