baslinux - Re: [BL] bzimage.big and scsi

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bzimage.big and scsi
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:56:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I can boot from DOS to BL3.40 and BL2 on a scsi drive using a 2.4.31
kernel that I compiled myself.

loadlin bzimagsy.431 root=/dev/sda2 ro (or rw for BL3).

If I substitute BL3.50 bzimage.big, which has scsi_mod and sd_mod built
in, it will not boot.

CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=m

I have compiled another 2.4.31 kernel with all of the above =y.
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimasyf.431 and confsyf.431
Same as a previous kernel but with added scsi support. Does ipchains and firewall (see archives) so you can go online with two computers at once using one as a gateway.

I don't see the need to have scsi drivers (scsi_mod, sd_mod, sr, sg, st) built into the kernel in bzimage.big if the scsi controller drivers are not also built in. For any purpose other than booting to a scsi hard disk you can simply add the required modules after booting.

Is anyone else on the this list using scsi and if so what controller?
Adding aic7xxx made the kernel quite a bit larger, at least 50K.
Maybe there should be two 'big' kernels - one with scsi only as modules, and one with three drivers built in.

Or I can use 2.4.31 kernel and modules. Or download a lot of kernel source code at 4K/sec or so.