baslinux - [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:14:26 +0200 (CEST)

Czerno typing in Lynx : Hi, List!

Been revisiting the Lynx/colours/appearance question, here's an
update
on my previous reports which were not as accurate as should be.

1. In the Linux console (shell) Lynx displays full colours according
to the lynx.lss configuration,
also in the console, high-ASCII (8 bit) chars display *properly* at
least for pages using the 'western' charset. I'll check some pages
using
cyrillics or other chars later. Basically all seems good for now.

2. Under X in a terminal window :
Here there are at least 2 different aspects one might consider
'wrong' :
2.a - All colour settings from the .lss are ignored
IIUC why this is happening, it's Lynx not being able to determine the

terminal's - i.e. rxvt - ability to "do" colours, consequently
forcing
black chars on white bg.

2.b. Hi-ASCII chars are *lost*, replaced by blank graphics. Most
annoying.
I have no definite idea whether the replacement is done by Lynx,
which
might 'think' the terminal is not capable of displaying them, in a
way
similar that it thinks it cannot display colours, - or -
whether the terminal itself is incapable of, or else not set for,
displaying hi-ASCII :=(

Hope someone of the savvy type will be able to explain what really
happens, and
how to remedy what remedied can be....

In the mean time : Cheers,

--