baslinux - Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 07:56:27 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> >> I think Opera has its own fonts. Does Abiword also
> >> use the X fonts?
> >
> > AbiWord has its own fonts.
>
> Neither of these fits well in the loop version

I'm pretty sure Opera and AbiWord each fit into the
20mb loop (DOS version) -- but not both at the same
time. You might remember that originally the loop
file was 16mb. IIRC, the reason I increased it to
20mb was so that AbiWord could be installed.

> > I expect most users will eventually install a full set
> > of fonts from Slackware. The default fonts in BL3 are
> > *very* minimalistic.
>
> Nearly 3MB - rather large for the loop version.

Yeah, the standard font packages are pretty bulky.
Lots and lots of data, most of it never used.

> setfont has apparently been removed since BL3
> and is 22K (glibc). showfont is 5K. xev 15K.

Don't forget the dependencies for those executables.
Some require hundreds of kilobytes of libraries.

> Does jwm use Type1 and magicpoint 100dpi or vice versa?
> Why two scaleable fonts?

There is only one scaleable font in BL3. Both jwm
and magicpoint use it.

> Does the Slackware fonts package include scaleable fonts?

Not in xfnts.tgz

> I don't see .pfb or .pfa fonts there, just .pcf ones.

Look in xfscl.tgz