baslinux - Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d)
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:49:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

I think Opera has its own fonts. Does Abiword also
use the X fonts?

AbiWord has its own fonts.

Neither of these fits well in the loop version

I'm pretty sure Opera and AbiWord each fit into the
20mb loop (DOS version) -- but not both at the same
time. You might remember that originally the loop
file was 16mb. IIRC, the reason I increased it to
20mb was so that AbiWord could be installed.

Opera also keeps getting bigger.

I expect most users will eventually install a full set
of fonts from Slackware. The default fonts in BL3 are
*very* minimalistic.

Nearly 3MB - rather large for the loop version.

Yeah, the standard font packages are pretty bulky.
Lots and lots of data, most of it never used.

I would remove most of it in BL2 but then fonts.dir and fonts.alias would probably need to be redone. Could I just replace bl2 fonts with the bl3 setup (but the full-size fonts)? When would anyone want more than the BL3 fonts, to see larger text at higher X resolutions? I don't care what the fonts look like so long as they are legible.

setfont has apparently been removed since BL3
and is 22K (glibc). showfont is 5K. xev 15K.

Don't forget the dependencies for those executables.
Some require hundreds of kilobytes of libraries.

showfont and setfont only libc/ld-linux
Are they of any use if you don't add additional console fonts?
If not, you may as well download the kbd package and extract them.

Does jwm use Type1 and magicpoint 100dpi or vice versa?
Why two scaleable fonts?

There is only one scaleable font in BL3. Both jwm
and magicpoint use it.

Type1 is symlinked to 100dpi.

Does the Slackware fonts package include scaleable fonts?

Not in xfnts.tgz

I don't see .pfb or .pfa fonts there, just .pcf ones.

Look in xfscl.tgz

scl - scalable

What other X programs need scaleable X fonts?

Opera and Abiword obviously not.

xv and xpdf work without them - do they have their own fonts too?
xpdf is now up to 8MB and xv is 1.2MB.

Cheers, Steven