baslinux - Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d)
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 06:26:09 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> I see two each cl, lut and helv fonts (.pcf.gz)
> in BL3 in /misc, about 3K each

That's just about the smallest set of fonts you'll
find anywhere.

> Stripping these six fonts saves about 17K.

A tiny set of tiny fonts. I'm trying to reduce
the X overhead as much as possible. Remember
one of the goals of BL3 is to get a useable X
on a 486.

> But complicates life for people who want to read
> French, German, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, or math
> symbols in an rxvt.

BL1 had keymapping and other foreign language support.
However, few people seemed to be using it, so I removed
it (and the foreign language fonts) from the default BL3.
Foreign-language users can add what they need (including
full fonts) from Slackware.

> I think Opera has its own fonts. Does Abiword also
> use the X fonts?

AbiWord has its own fonts.

> Maybe you could post a package of the unstripped fonts
> (for 8859-1) so other non-English-writing users could
> easily add them without downloading a large Slackware
> package first.

I expect most users will eventually install a full set
of fonts from Slackware. The default fonts in BL3 are
*very* minimalistic.

> Type1 and 100dpi in BL3.50 each have a 34K .pfb
> file. BL2 does not seem to have any .pfb files.
> What do they do?

It is a scaleable font. It is used by jwm and magicpoint.
34kb is fairly small for a scaleable font.