baslinux - Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re : Colours, or lack thereof (cont-d)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:48:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Czerno typing in Lynx : Hi, List!

Been revisiting the Lynx/colours/appearance question, here's an
update
on my previous reports which were not as accurate as should be.

1. In the Linux console (shell) Lynx displays full colours according
to the lynx.lss configuration,
also in the console, high-ASCII (8 bit) chars display *properly* at
least for pages using the 'western' charset. I'll check some pages
using
cyrillics or other chars later. Basically all seems good for now.

Why do you want to use lynx in X rather than in a console?
I don't think it is designed for that.

2. Under X in a terminal window :
Here there are at least 2 different aspects one might consider
'wrong' :
2.a - All colour settings from the .lss are ignored
IIUC why this is happening, it's Lynx not being able to determine the

terminal's - i.e. rxvt - ability to "do" colours, consequently
forcing
black chars on white bg.

With lynx in BL2 I see white on black if I start rxvt with -bg black -fg white, but not the colors that I get in console mode.

You can number links and form fields (keyboard input) to make it easier to find things. I am used to working in monochrome.

2.b. Hi-ASCII chars are *lost*, replaced by blank graphics. Most
annoying.
I have no definite idea whether the replacement is done by Lynx,
which
might 'think' the terminal is not capable of displaying them, in a
way
similar that it thinks it cannot display colours, - or -
whether the terminal itself is incapable of, or else not set for,
displaying hi-ASCII :=(

I typed two upper ascii characters with pico in console mode (alt-214 is one) and they display properly in the rxvt in BL2 with icewm using pico or e3pi (the BL3 editor). I cannot type them while in X (alt-number does not work in pico).

The same file displays properly in lynx in the rxvt with lynx set to the default charset (Western, 8859-1).

I will reboot, change keyboards, and try this in BL3 with jwm.
icewm works properly with my 84-key keyboard. jwm does not.

Hope someone of the savvy type will be able to explain what really
happens, and
how to remedy what remedied can be....

In the mean time : Cheers,

--