baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera works in BasicLinux 3.50

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera works in BasicLinux 3.50
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 01:52:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
-------------------

I've just installed Opera 8.52 on BL 3.50
and it works fine. The instructions given
for 3.40 still work for 3.50:
---------------------------------------
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/opera.html
---------------------------------------

Here's what I did:

install glibc-solibs-2.3.1 package

Is there some reason 2.2.5 would not work as well?

This is a large package. Could you check whether just the libraries listed by ldd opera are adequate? libc libm ld-linux libpthread libdl (and libnss_dns libresolv to go online). That was all I needed in 3.40 other than X libs and for Opera 8 also libz. I just copied them over and symlinked. Is there something else I should do to install them correctly so that they will recognize libX11.so (static), which needs libc.so.6? Do I need the glibc ldconfig for instance?

install misc-libs package

Now at the BL site, 863KB. 3 min download. I see libz.so.1.1.4 in there but nothing else that looks relevant to opera/libX11. libgcc_s jpeg png (3 and 2) tiff freetype stdc++

I already installed libz, which seems unrelated to the libX11 problem.

install x-libs package
Do you really need all of it or just libXext, libICE and libSM?

unpack opera-8.52-static-qt.i386 package

execute install.sh
I run it from the directory I unpacked to, without installation, in BL3.40.
If you do install it, you can make space by deleting the directory it unpacked to.

answer "yes" for everything
execute startx
click on xterm
execute opera

The only real issue is that Opera 8 is very
hard to find. Just about everyone has moved
to Opera 9. Perhaps Opera 9 works too?
It did not work for me - needed a later glibc, I think.

Maybe, maybe not. Anybody care to try it?
What I can say for sure is that Opera 8.52
works as specified on BL 3.50. If Opera 9
does not work, then I will make the Opera 8
package available at the BasicLinux site.

Searched on Opera 8 download from the main page, and then Where can I find old versions of Opera. http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/
linux
8.52 (or another version)

(They go back to version 5.00 from 2002, through 8.54 for linux.)
final
en
i386
static (for qt, not for libc)

Four choices: rpm, tar.bz2, tar.gz, deb

I have not downloaded 8.54 and checked which glibc is needed. They used to offer various rpms for different Redhats presumably with different glibc dependencies, but the one provided for SW81 I think required a later glibc than SW81 comes with.

I am using 8.52.

Thanks for checking this out. I wonder what I am missing that libX11.so.6 needs to work with the X libraries.