baslinux - Re: [BL] sound recording.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sound recording.
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:10:33 -0700

Sindi wrote:
[recording with sox]
Thanks. The man page was not entirely understandable.

The versions I've seen are very messy. Maybe they don't expect anyone
to actually read it, instead probably using something else like
Audacity to record.

-t ossdsp file type is ossdsp for use with /dev/dsp and OSS
-w 16-bit word - how would we do 8-bit for SBPro?

-b. If you specify nothing it should detect that the card is only
capable of 8-bit and make the necessary adjustments automatically.

They also suggest:

-s signed linear sample data. Is this default?

Either signed or unsigned is default. It doesn't really matter, most
WAV software understands both. If you are capturing RAW (headerless,
instead of WAV), signed is better (easier to process).

Play is a script for using sox, so uses the same options.

More recent versions of sox include a "rec" script, which works like
"play" for recording.

play -V filename.wav says a wav file is 11025 byte/sec, 1 channel,
Microsoft PCM. (8-bit mono - 16-bit stereo would be 44100). Can it be
played on an i810 chip (only works at 48KHz) with play and some option(s)?

Recent versions of play will automatically do the resampling for you,
as needed. MPlayer will, also.

Sindi

David