baslinux - Re: [BL] sound recording.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sound recording.
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:19:28 -0600

On 23/03/07, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
Sindi wrote:

> aumix does not have a 'recording source' line.

According to the man page, switching the source is accomplished by
using the arrow keys to switch to the desired input source (Line) and
then turn up the volume as with any of the other controls. On some
cards, it may be necessary to press the Spacebar to activate Line.

space switches the source from play (passthrough) to record
(passthrough and record)

note: on some old soundcards (and most newer ones) the cable wont be
needed since the cards can record from all of their sources (including
line out) internally

> Would it be 'Line' or 'Line1' or 'Mic'?

Line should be connected to the LINE IN port. Line1 is something else
- if this is a SB-type card, it refers to some "line in" pins on the
card itself, next to the CD audio-in pins.

> Mic is currently set to 0, as is Igain.

if you arent recording from mic leave it at 0... turning it up with or
without a mic will cause noise..

Igain is for adjustments for weak microphones, I think.

on sb16 its in hardware and adjusts all inputs .... should be set at
'30' (press the '3' key) -- which is really '1' (there are only 4
levels -- 0 to 3) to get a decent recording level...

doing the same to ogain helps things too.... (nice n' loud/clear -- be
carefull when doing it with headphones plugged into speaker out tho)

> Please give the details of how to record with sox or aumix, from an
> audio receiver to line in.

Basic operation:

sox -t ossdsp /dev/dsp outputfile.wav

You can use the standard sox flags to change the output format:

sox -t ossdsp -w -r 44100 -c 2 /dev/dsp cdout.wav

cool ...never could get that to work right.... (sox is a mess)

(records at CD quality)

David

--sam (only temporarily out of 'hibernation')
--
Web; http://mephitus.no-ip.org/
Skype; Mephitus