baslinux - Re: [BL] sound recording.

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sound recording.
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:34:02 -0700

sindi keesan wrote:
[Mikkel wrote:]
> http://www.jaymzworld.com/pages/av.shtml
>
>> I know at least three different ways to extract audio from DVD.

The fastest way to extract audio from a DVD is to use mplayer's -ao
pcm option with the -novideo option (faster). This only works if you
can access the DVD with mplayer, of course.

I think you need a full-duplex sound card to play and record at the same
time, something with DMA1 and DMA16 (or DMA2) which are not the same.
SBPro probably cannot do that, nor can some cheaper SB cards.

For recording from an analog or digital-to-analog converted source,
this is correct. Exact digital recordings can be made by something
like http://www.vsound.org/ -- no sound card required with most
applications. "what you hear is what you get", etc.

what command or program do you use to capture the incoming sound
to a wav file (to 'set line in as the recording source').

You need to set the recording source to LINE IN in your mixer utility
(aumix?). Also, adjust the volume level(s) correctly. Then you can use
any OSS sound recording application. For a quick, but low-quality,
test, record with:
cat /dev/dsp >recording.au
and play back with: cat recording.au >/dev/dsp
sox, or the rec utility from the sox package, can record to any format
supported by your sound card.

David