baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux 3.50

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux 3.50
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:16:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I am currently debugging version 3.50 of BasicLinux.
It should be available for download in about a week.
The main changes are:

Upgraded busybox from 1.01 to 1.22.

Why not 1.3.2? Is it less stable? The source code packages are
both 1.4MB.

Major improvements to links.
Major improvements to the window manager.

Which version of which links?

There's also been some minor editing and updating.
libXpm and libext2 are no longer required, so they
have been dropped. Overall the size of BasicLinux
will shrink by more than 100kb.

Did you compile rxvt specially for BL3, not to use libXpm
like it does in SW7.1?

We'll be using the same kernel, same modules, same
add-ons. Upgrading for non-X users will be easy --
simply replace busybox and links. They'll also need
to add /dev/random (which the new links uses -- it
took me days to figure that one out).

None of the browsers can access their config files in
/home/user as 'user' so I can't use BL3 online as user yet.
If anyone ever figures this out (it might be something in
the passwd.tgz package not BL3) it would help to have
/dev/*tty* and /dev/urandom and /dev/null o+rw.

Upgrading will be more work for the X users (a complete
reinstallation will probably be easier). The changes
to X are very significant. We will have a far superior
windowing environment (for those of you who care about
such things).

I have set up friends with icewm and Opera. Will this new
wm work with Opera?

Could we simply replace ext2 /usr/X11R6 from a ramdisk version
or does /etc/XConfig also change?

If anybody would like to help with the debugging,
they are very welcome. I can upload the 3.5 fs.img
today.

For running in a loop?