baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux 3.50

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux 3.50
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:32:03 -0700

sindi keesan wrote:
[Steven wrote:]

> I am currently debugging version 3.50 of BasicLinux.
> It should be available for download in about a week.
> The main changes are:
>
> Upgraded busybox from 1.01 to 1.22.

Why not 1.3.2? Is it less stable?

1.2.2 is the last version released by Rob Landley, before he decided
to start a busybox-like project from scratch (toybox). I think there
are a few regression bugs in 1.3.2, so probably that is why Steven is
using 1.2.2 instead. There are definitely noticeable bugs in the
latest 1.4.1, so if you want "latest and greatest" you would be best
off to check out a copy from SVN.

> Major improvements to links.

Which version of which links?

The graphical versions require large fonts and libraries, so I suppose
this is the console version of links. I doubt that elinks would fit in
the 3MB installation.

Steven, will there be any Javascript or SSL support?

> Major improvements to the window manager.

I wonder what it will look like. Steven put together a great X
configuration out of just swm, 9menu, and a handful of fonts, so I
expect something at least as good as the DSL/Puppy setup.

> There's also been some minor editing and updating.
> libXpm and libext2 are no longer required, so they
> have been dropped.

Will we still be able to e2fsck and view Xpms? As Sindi said, how did
you manage this? By linking with libXpm.a and libext2*.a?

> Overall the size of BasicLinux will shrink by more than 100kb.

Amazing! And you say that there will not be any major loss of functionality?

> If anybody would like to help with the debugging,
> they are very welcome. I can upload the 3.5 fs.img
> today.

I would like to try it, if you have something available.

For running in a loop?
Sindi

Or copy to a partition and execute from there.

David