baslinux - Re: [BL] Using X

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using X
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:09:05 +0000

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 05:52:06PM +1300, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
> > There are window managers that are less than 10KB
> > in size (failsafewm is one).
>
> The window manager in BL3 (swm) is just 19kb, which
> makes it one of the smallest. However, it requires
> libXpm (the barebones libXpm in BL3 is 48kb). There
> is a non-libXpm option for swm, but IMO it's ugly.

Nice thing about failsafewm is that the only signs of it and the
xterm are narrow lines outlining the windows.

> The BL3 wm also has a menu program (12kb) grafted onto
> it and some background pixmaps (21kb). All together,
> that's around 100kb for the wm stuff, which is still
> considerably less than icewm and other popular window
> managers.

By miles.

> I will be taking a different approach for next version
> of BasicLinux. Instead of taking a minimalistic wm
> and grafting on bits to make it more useful and more
> attractive, I will be using a much nicer wm that is
> bigger than swm, but smaller than swm + libXpm + menu
> + pixmaps.

If you could just get rid of the title bar. Invisible
window managers and xterms are the cat's meow.

I have mine boot up with three 99X45 windows anchored
to the left and one 32X45 window anchored on the right
that I use to display the time and system info (still
working on it).

> This will give us a significantly better wm in less
> space than the old swm hodgepodge. The same applies
> to links: BasicLinux 3.5 will have a better, smaller
> links. And the new busybox will save us some space
> too. Overall, BasicLinux will shrink by more than
> 100kb. That will give us room for some extras like
> an additional module or two.

Good work!

> I am still hoping to add the 3Com PCMCIA network
> module to BL3, but I won't be able to do that until
> I find an old 3Com card to experiment on. I keep
> looking for one, but so far no luck. PCnet cards
> are pretty easy to find (I've got four of them now),
> but working 3Com PCMCIA network cards (with dongle)
> are not so common here.

PCMCIA is for laptops, right? Never used it.

I can't help but notice that you haven't decided to go over to
svgalib :-)

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful