baslinux - Re: [BL] [delete] Which is Smaller, X or Svgalib?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] [delete] Which is Smaller, X or Svgalib?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:42:44 +0000 (UTC)

Lee wrote:>>
Perhaps users of Svgalib don't want to face the fact that their
choices result in larger OSs than users of X?

The opposite.

Latest svgalib is 420K (for two so.1 library files). glibc-dynamic.
1.4.3 (which also supports i810, unlike the 1.3.1 in BL3) is 385K

gpm about 100K with library. Only needed for a drawing program but some
people like to use it with their browser or mc.

svgalib has its own mouse driver. I forgot about that.

splitvt (40K) and screen (300K) can be used to do several things in one
screen, or for more screens per vt, and you can copy between programs
without a mouse (no need for gpm except for drawing program).

zgv is 200K (with 450K of image-format dependencies shared by links2)
--------------------

TinyX about 900K and does not work with i810 in standard BL3.

I forgot you also need libX11 which is 767K for BL2

xv 1MB (because it is GUI).

X is larger and X programs are probably GUI and therefore larger.
Numbers are for BL2 X and svgalib (1.4.3).

xv is 1.15 MB zgv is 213K seejpeg 100K

Their dependencies are shared among multiple programs:

libX11 - 767K libvgagl 54K Xvesa - 870K static libvga 331K libvga 331K
(call it 600 if dynamic TinyX) libjpeg 127K
libpng 158K
libtiff 180K
libz 62K

Total >= 2.5MB 1.124MB 431K

If you want to save space, convert png and tiff to ppm using netpbm programs and view with seejpeg. A 24-bit photo looks the same to me with seejpeg as with zgv. A little trickier configuring links or lynx to view images with seejpeg after first converting to pnm.

pngtopnm 17K - much smaller than libpng
tifftopnm 22K or libtiff

To flip use pnmflip 2.5K or pamflip 12K or pnmrotate 10K (to 180 degrees)

seejpeg will do slideshows, greyscale, stretching, centering
Views jpeg gif ppm bmp targa

zgv has lots of extras - zoom, reduce, change colors, brightness, bold text, thumbnails, animated gifs, fancy cursor.....

Much of the above can be done by netpbm programs instead, to convert rather than just view changes.

xli does not view ppm. I don't have it in BL2 to analyze.