baslinux - Re: [BL] PowerPoint 63

  • From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne AT ausreg.com>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PowerPoint 63
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:45:52 +1000

Hi Lee,

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:46:37 +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

>> > One arranges ones life as one wishes. No is _forced_ to use any
>> > of those applications.

>> Correct. :)

>> > I wouldn't _do_ anything that required
>> > their use.

>> And its your choice. :)

> You didn't say "choice", Ron, you said "need". There's a big difference.

And I just said choice.

>> > As for needing them for amusement, specifically, I find that
>> > notion to be preposterous. There are about a million ways to
>> > amuse oneself, and the overwhelming majority don't require a
>> > computer, much less those specific programs.

>> Well _I_ find much about computers and computing to be amusing. And
>> interesting and entertaining, and frustrating, and challenging, and
instructive.

> That's _my_ point. The idea of anything as fascinating as a
> computer and the Internet needing a special application for
> entertainment is absurd.

There are other entertainments than that. :)

>> And I have a life as well. :)

> Between computers and chemistry, I figure you've got time to eat, shower,
> sleep, and go to bathroom. Where you get your exercise remains a mystery
> to me at this point.

I work, I play, I do what I have to do, and then I do whatever I like
doing. I also have a Beagle bitch who requires about 2 km of walking
during the course of the day. I have half an acre of productive land. We
are renovating the bathroom (having done the kitchen) and the laundry is
still to do. And I work from a home office - yes ! - on the (DOS) computer.

Who needs exercise ?

> I deliberately have a job that is very active. If
> I didn't, the computer would have to go.

> For _you_ I would recommend a frisbee club or the like over
> computer games or watching videos.

That's very patronising, Lee ! :(

I don't play computer games. Not any more. Not since they stopped
making any more Leisure Suit Larry games. :(

And I am getting too old for a frisbee club. Even more sadly, I am
too old and arthritic to play cricket anymore. Or even any of my musical
instruments - which really IS depressing - and which is the main reason
why I have turned to multimedia on the computer. I _have_ to create
music, and bugger the energy that it takes to run a computer for that.

>> > I'm into tiny linux out of principles. Same reason I use a
>> > dial-up connection as long as I am operating as a simple user
>> > (not running a serious server, etc.).

>> Ah !

> Ha!

>> > Live simply that others might simply live.

>> Ah !

> Ha!

>> > Ghandi said that. As well as a lot of other folks generally considered
>> > to be wise beyond the norm, throughout history.

>> Ah !

> Ha!

>> > The more software you have, and the more complex that software
>> > is, and the faster your connection, the more hardware and energy
>> > you require. Both on your computer and for your share of the
>> > Internet's infrastructure and its operation.

>> Ah !

> Ha!

>> > That hardware and energy is produced by Industry. Mines and
>> > powerplants and factories and such. Environmental degradation.

>> Ah !

> Ha!

>> > I included the crosspost to Sindi because she claims to be an
>> > environmentalist.

>> Hi Sindi ! :)

>> > I find it _very_ entertaining, Ron,

>> There ya go !

>> > A lot of people do. Be thankful. Without them you wouldn't have an OS or
>> > any applications, or an Internet.

>> Of course.

> :-)

> Later,

> Lee

Isn't it good we are all different. :)
Otherwise it would be a boring old world.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser - http://arachne.cz/

  • Re: [BL] PowerPoint 63, Ron Clarke, 03/09/2007